Asbestos Control in Buildings and Industry in Ontario
Course Type: Course
Course Length: 3 days
It is common knowledge nowadays that asbestos is associated with diseases, however, many people remain unaware of the regulatory requirements for asbestos control.
The Ministry of Labour (MOL) has been increasingly active in enforcing the asbestos regulation for day-to-day asbestos management and particularly on construction projects. The consequences of non-compliance can include work stoppage and substantial fines. The Ministry of Environment has begun to increase enforcement related to asbestos waste handling and disposal.
This course provides an in-depth review of everything related to asbestos, including its uses, health effects, relevant regulatory requirements, work classifications, and much more. It is relevant to a wide range of audiences – including building owners, property managers, health & safety personnel, and contractors.
In addition, for anyone who intends to perform Types 1, 2 and/or 3 asbestos work, the course content meets those regulatory training requirements.
Important information for those who intend to be certified as a Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Worker:
- Prior to the course, it is essential that the employer register as a “Signing Authority” with the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU), otherwise the training may be deemed void. Contact your local MTCU office to arrange this.
- The MTCU’s Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Worker (AAW 253W) exam is administered separately at Ontario colleges. Documentation required before taking the exam consists of paperwork provided by the MTCU and Pinchin’s course certificate. Please let us know if you are planning for this so that we can provide an additional course certificate to you.
- For Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Supervisor certification, a separate course is required. Please refer to our course listing for the Asbestos Type 3 Abatement Supervisor training.
In this course you will learn about:
- Uses of asbestos in buildings
- Health effects of asbestos exposure – occupational and non-occupational
- Building survey methods and hazard assessments
- Interpretation of bulk & air sample analysis results
- Ministry of Labour asbestos regulation overview
- Asbestos waste transportation and disposal regulations overview
- Asbestos Management Programs and their implementation
- Asbestos abatement projects – considerations for planning and site preparation
- Types 1, 2 & 3 asbestos work operations – work area setup requirements, measures & procedures, personal protective equipment, and worker decontamination procedures
- Air sampling for clearance of Type 3 work and options for other scenarios
Other features of this course:
- Various items for demonstration including asbestos material samples, equipment used in asbestos abatement work, and a fully functional mock-up of a Type 3 asbestos work area
- A “backstage” tour of Pinchin’s Asbestos Laboratory
- Class input and discussions are strongly encouraged throughout the course
- We conclude with an exam (optional to all participants) as an effective review of what you have learned. Additional MTCU testing is required for those who intend to be certified as a Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Worker
Meghan Kelly, M.Sc.
Training Specialist, Hazardous Materials
Meghan Kelly is a Training Specialist with the Hazardous Materials group at Pinchin Ltd. In her previous role as a Project Manager, Meghan managed asbestos and other hazardous materials projects including surveys, asbestos reassessments, and abatement operations. Meghan was also a Project Technologist, where she performed hazardous materials surveys and inspections of abatement work performed by contractors. Meghan holds a Master of Science in Analytical Chemistry degree from Carleton University and an Honours Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Science and Chemistry from Trent University.
Proof of Training
Upon completing this course, each participant is provided with a certificate as proof of the training.
Please note: Payment must be received and processed before a certificate is issued. Refer to our course payment policies for more details.
We currently do not have dates scheduled for this course – for information on this and other upcoming seminars please sign up for our what’s new emails.
Do you prefer to hold this course on-site at your location instead? Please contact us to request a quote.
Asbestos Awareness in Alberta
Asbestos Control in Buildings and Industry in Manitoba
Asbestos Type 3 Abatement Supervisor (MTCU 253S) Course
Asbestos Type 3 Abatement Worker (MTCU 253W) Course
Asbestos Types 1 & 2 Worker Training
Asbestos Worker Training
Alberta Asbestos Worker Certificate
Asbestos Awareness in Ontario
Federal Asbestos Regulations Update
Managing Hazardous Building Materials
Hazardous Building Materials 101
Hazards and Control of Mould in Buildings in Manitoba
Infection Control and Legionella Management During Construction and Maintenance Activities in Health Care Facilities
Infection Control in Healthcare Facilities
Continuing Education Points
This course is eligible for certification maintenance points from certain organizations listed on our Continuing Education Points page.
Related Pinchin Consulting Services
Pinchin Ltd. offers expert consulting services and courses in wide array of subject areas. Browse our website or contact us for information.