Asbestos Type 3 Abatement Worker (MTCU 253W) Course
Course Type: Course
Course Length: 2 days
Course Overview & Scope
This course is intended for those who will perform Type 3 asbestos work operations. The course content follows the curriculum set by the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities (MTCU) for the Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Worker Training Program (AAW 253W) to prepare the participants to write the AAW 253W exam.
The MTCU’s curriculum for this course does not cover training for performing Types 1 or 2 asbestos work. Please refer to Section 12 of Ontario Regulation 278/05 for the specific classifications of asbestos work operations or contact us if you require guidance.
In this course you will learn about:
- Uses and common types of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in buildings
- Health effects of asbestos exposure
- Ministry of Labour Regulation 278/05
- Regulatory requirements for asbestos waste transportation and disposal
- Other provincial health & safety legislation relevant to Type 3 asbestos work
- Other hazards in Type 3 asbestos work
- Measures & procedures, personal protective equipment, and decontamination (hygiene) practices for Type 3 asbestos work
This course also includes:
- Various demonstration items, including asbestos material samples and equipment used in Type 3 asbestos work
- Tour of a fully functional mock-up of a Type 3 asbestos work area
- A mock exam, fashioned in a similar format to the MTCU’s exam, to provide participants with a “dry run” in preparation for taking the MTCU exam at a college
- Prior to the course, it is essential that the employer register as a “Signing Authority” with the MTCU (otherwise the training may be deemed void). Contact your local MTCU office to arrange this.
- The MTCU’s AAW 253W exam is administered separately at Ontario colleges. Documentation for taking the exam consists of paperwork provided by the MTCU and Pinchin’s course certificate.
Paul Bliss, CCMI, CHSO
Project Manager, Hazardous Materials
Paul Bliss is a Project Manager with the Hazardous Materials Group at Pinchin Ltd. Paul is a health and safety professional with over 15 years’ of experience in the asbestos industry and holds both 253W & 253S MTCU certificates. He is also a Certified Commercial Mould Inspector with the Professional Mould Inspection Institute and has achieved the designation of Construction Health and Safety Officer with the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association.
Proof of Training
Upon completing this course, each participant is provided with a certificate as proof of the training. Pinchin’s certificate is used only as proof of the training in order to take the 253W AAW exam at an Ontario college. The actual proof of Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Worker certification comes from the MTCU after they receive proof that the participant passed the exam.
Please note: Payment must be received and processed before a certificate is issued. Refer to our course payment policies for more details.
We currently do not have dates scheduled for this course – for information on this and other upcoming seminars please sign up for our what’s new emails.
Do you prefer to hold this course on-site at your location instead? Please contact us to request a quote.
Asbestos Awareness in Alberta
Asbestos Control in Buildings and Industry in Manitoba
Asbestos Control in Buildings and Industry in Ontario
Asbestos Type 3 Abatement Supervisor (MTCU 253S) Course
Asbestos Types 1 & 2 Worker Training
Asbestos Worker Training
Alberta Asbestos Worker Certificate
Asbestos Awareness in Ontario
Federal Asbestos Regulations Update
Managing Hazardous Materials During Development
Hazardous Building Materials 101
Introduction to Asbestos in Manitoba
Saskatchewan Asbestos Worker Certificate
WCB Bill 30 - What Do Changes to Alberta's OHS Act Mean To You?
Silica Awareness in Manitoba
Continuing Education Points
This course is eligible for certification maintenance points from certain organizations listed on our Continuing Education Points page.
Related Pinchin Consulting Services
Pinchin Ltd. offers expert consulting services and courses in wide array of subject areas. Browse our website or contact us for information.